January 25, 2016

2016 Hawaii - Oahu (Day 4)

With a few hours free in the afternoon, I fished solo at Makai Pier again. The light lines and small hooks were very effective, so I spent most of the time using 2lb test and #26 or New Halfmoon hooks.

By chance, there was a half a piece of shrimp on the pier that was still fresh. It was a lucky find as the fish favoured shrimp over squid. I had most trouble catching Butterflyfish in the past, but this time they were relentless. Millet Butterflyfish were very eager, and Threadfin Butterflyfish were not difficult as long as you can get the bait past all the Millet Butterflyfish, Green Damselfish and Saddled Wrasse.

Millet Butterflyfish (Chaetodon miliaris) - Species #499

Threadfin Butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga) - Species #500

After catching those Butterflyfishes, they became annoying bait thieves. Yes, they are beautiful, but they swarm a bait, any bait, way too quickly...just like this Fantail Filefish.

I saw a few Bird Wrasse and they would always hit unexpectedly. I lost a couple when it appeared I finally had one on the hook...until my old nemesis, the Manybar Goatfish, appeared at the end of the line.

After losing one more Bird Wrasse, I finally got my lifer.

Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius) - Species #501

There were many Hawaiian Dascyllus suspended over coral. For some time, I could not figure out how to catch them since suspending a bait over the coral simply encouraged the other bait thieves to steal. Finally, I found out that they simply wanted the bait close to the bottom.

Hawaiian Dascyllus (Dascyllus albisella) - Species #502

A local was leaving and gave me some bread for bait. I tried to target some reef fish and found a couple of Goldring Tand and Lavender Tang willing to bite, but all I could do was hooked one each and the hook came off during the fight. The Goldring Tang was probably one of the hardest fish to catch on hook and line, so that was a major loss.

I saw someone catch two Lagoon Triggerfish and tried for a bit for them. There were also Yellowstriped Goatfish that I could not catch. The Moorish Idol and Teardrop Butterflyfish continued to ignore my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment